The list is based on my personal taste, the quality of the writing being fundamental, almost independently of the attached photos. Camera Obscura is above all a text-based platform for artists to express their point of view and share their experience; so -even if the photographic work is certainly important, I try to give more weight to the text itself. As usual, I prefer the everyday life, the anecdotes and the personal stories much more than theory and philosophy.
The choice was really difficult, a lot of articles not included here are stunning, but I had to end up with a top list. Anywhere, here we are with the list of the best articles published during 2011 (favorite on top):
- Female drug addiction in Afghanistan, by Rafaela Persson
- The Language Of Skin: Thoughts On Self Portraiture & Poetry, by Kalliope Amorphous
- Leaving Comfort Behind, by Scott McIntyre
- No Strings Attached (NSA), by Helen Flanagan
- Frozen in time, by Urban Travel
- By the Lake, by Birgit Püve
- Sea Change, by Michael Marten
- The things we did while you were gone, by Bryan Thomas
- Myth and Landscape, by David Parker
- Between In and Out, by Chen Xiaomei (陈小枚)
As usual, I suggest all the CO followers to reread these articles, they are all great essays about photography!